Paul Swift - 'Lean Six Sigma' Management Consultant
by Paul Swift
Paul Swift - Business Coach
An experienced, adaptable and confident Improvement Professional, Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt certified with a track record in improving business performance for bottom-line benefit, both as member and leader of teams, gained over the past 19 years. Lean Implementation experience in: Media Telesales, Media contact & support centres, Mail distribution, Retail Automotive, Aerospace, Food (FMCG), Financial Services (Insurance, Retail Banking and Mortgage Operations) and Central Government Agency.
Specialist in Leading Improvement programmes in front and back office Financial Services environments.
A skilled presenter and facilitator with experience ranging from strategic planning at senior management level to problem solving on the shop floor. Has excellent IT skills (MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel & Outlook), and holds a full, clean driving licence.
Assignment / Employment History
Date From / To Employer Position held
November 2006 – Present Beyondlean Ltd. Director / Senior Consultant
July 12 – Present: National Security Vetting (MOD)
Operational Excellence Lead Consultant – Productivity increase of > 40%
Dec 11 – June 12: XXXXX Banking Group
Lead Consultant – PPI Operations End to End Improvement workstream
Leading a team of 8 OpEx consultants in the redesign and implementation of future state value stream across 4 sites
Lead Consultant – Wholesale Banking, Commercial Tier 1 Contact Centre July 11 – Dec 11
Leading a team of 4 internal consultants responsible for the design and delivery of a telephony Operational Excellence approach within the Commercial Call Centre –
• capacity creation of 11 FTE
Lead Consultant Mentoring – Account Switching Service March 11 – June 11
Lead Consultant – Collections & Recoveries Site Migration Feb 10 – March 11
C & R Contact centre – Designed and implemented Centre of Excellence for Telephony for XXX.
Leading improvement workstream responsible for the integration of three sites into one whilst embedding Operational Excellence methodologies into the Inbound and Outbound Call Centre, whilst mentoring and coaching internal Op Ex consultants in Lean Telephony skills
• Capacity release of 105 FTE, Quality improvement of 46%
Lead Consultant – Cards Customer Service Sept 09 – Feb 10 Managing Consultant accountable for the delivery of two workstreams within a cards service centre, covering over 200 people. Day to day responsibility for the management of 3 Operational Excellence consultants and 3 Lean Coaches.
• Capacity release of 28 FTE
Apr 09 – Sep 09: Government Agency
Workstream Leader of ‘New Ways of Working’ Pilot and roll out across Government Agency. Coaching and mentoring internal consultants through to LERC level 1C (Cardiff Business School Accreditation).
• Productivity increase of 50+%
• Quality increase of 42%
• Query referral reduction of 70%
Dec 08 – Apr 09: Co-Operative Bank
Leading a team of external consultants (Working closely with the technical Design Architecture team), carrying out a diagnostic piece of work to identify Business Process Re-engineering opportunities during the design and implementation of a new Enterprise Platform.
• Savings opportunities of approx £30m identified.
Aug 08 – Nov 08: Major UK Bank – Mortgage Operations
Leading, coaching and mentoring a team of internal improvement consultants through improvement workstream to conclusion of Pilot phase and presentation of roll out proposal.
• 160% productivity improvement
• 50% reduction in lead time to offer
• Customer Service FTE reduced by 50%
Feb 07 – Aug 08: Major Media Provider
Project Manager / Workstream Leader in ‘Model Office’ Pilot & Roll Out across 3 Telesales Sites, 2 Installation Support Sites and a Service support site covering Contact centre operations (Telephony and back office) (Leading and mentoring 3-4 man client teams at each site)
• 35% increase in efficiency within Install Support
• 65% + increase in order entry quality across all three sites
• 25% increase in sales conversion in ‘Pilot’ teams
• Developed material for and delivered LERC Lean Training (Accredited by Cardiff University) to 72 Managers and Lean Coaches across the business
• Standard Operating procedures introduced into ‘Telesales’ environment
• Client declared savings of >£3,000,000 to date
4 week Scoping Project within Major Insurance’s internal mail processes
• Identification of 4 FTE savings within internal mail process
Scoping project as part of 5 man team within UK’s largest Mail Provider Collection Centre Glasgow
Current state Value stream map and proposals for future state produced with identified potential savings, nationwide of £210,000,000.
July 2005 – November 2006 Gate Gourmet Continuous Improvement Project Manager UK & Ireland
Initially responsible for contingency planning and implementation during industrial dispute, followed by implementation of basic Lean tools to embed stability during return to full service with 90% new staff within one month.
• Workplace Layout re-design (Reduced motion & transportation required by >30%)
• Designed & Implemented Performance Management System (Productivity increase of 30%)
• Cost saving of £306k from ‘Club Meals’ project (Duration 4 months)
• Headcount reduction from 411 to 267 - maintained output (£2,592,000 saving)
Sept 2004 – July 2005 Hurel-Hispano / Aircelle Lean Manufacturing Consultant
Responsible for leading a six person change team in the Component manufacturing Dept. during initial 3 month placement. Offering Tactical planning expertise in the implementation of manufacturing schedules utilising PFEP (Level Scheduling) and Kanban systems
• Completed area layout redesign to improve flow of material and people
• Achieved 35% improvement in DSA (Components)
• 20% improvement in productivity (Components)
Feb 1999 – Sept 2004 Airbus UK
One of a small number of leading internal experts, the role is to lead the application of lean principles based on the Toyota Production System (TPS).
• 65% improvement in Quality
• Delivery Schedule Adherence of 100%
• 240k Cost saving per wing-set
• £1,400,000 saving per year in Machining area
This was accomplished through the application Lean tools and techniques, based on future state requirements. Personal achievements include:-
• Airbus UK Project Gateway Process: - Part of 4 man design team (2 Heads Of Business & 2 Lean / Culture experts) Design of proposal, Process, training and facilitation of events for culture change for Airbus UK (10,000 people)
• Trained over 60 M/C operators in Quick Changeovers and Autonomous maintenance prior to the roll out of the -600 TPM strategy
Standard Work Combination Tables produced for wing panel production resulting in a benefit of approx £1,400,000 per year
Aug 1994-Jan 1999
Service Manager - Production Director
Primarily responsible for the stock budget of around £800k, ensuring stock value and profitability levels were balanced at all times.
Implemented numerous business improvements, driving them as manager of several areas.
Some of my personal achievements include:
• Increasing profits by 500% through improvement activities and culture change
• Improved company cash flow by 350K due to reduction in Stock levels
• Introduced JIT and reduced inventory levels by 95%.
1989 - 1994 Merit Car Sales & Service Business Owner
Car Sales and service business with Ministry of Transport Vehicle Testing Centre
1983 - 1989 Royal Ordnance Skilled Fitter
Production / Development Fitter working on Stingray and Spearfish torpedoes
1985 – 1987 Salford College of Technology HNC Engineering
1983 – 1985 Salford College of Technology ONC Mechanical and Production Engineering
1978 – 1983 Cardinal Newman High school “O/A” Level Advanced Maths, Eight GCE “O” Levels inc. Maths, English, & Physics
Professional Development • Process Management International, 6 day Consulting Capabilities Course
• Professional Sales Course inc. negotiation, building relationships, closing skills
• Six Sigma Black Belt
• Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt
Other Qualifications • NVQ Level 4 EKGB Assessor Award
• NVQ Level 3 EKGB Coaching Award
• TUC Levels 1 & 2 Union Representative qualifications
Sport • 5th Dan Black belt – Karate Jitsu, 3rd Dan Black belt - Ju jitsu, 1st Dan - Freestyle Karate
• Head Coach at two successful Martial Arts clubs with membership of over 70 students
Referees: Available on request