Lean meets business management -
The "Standard Business Roadmap"©
The acid test for ANY business management or improvement system is;
Does it work ?
This system is no different.
Results are todays business currency.
Without results no system is worth the paper its written on.
This system is not based on business management theory or strategic waffle, its based on hard won experience and developed by people who have used the tools contained within it to get measurable results.
Time after time.
Follow the process, step by step, in the order it is laid out and you Will get results. GUARANTEED !
This system can be used for areas from an individual department or small business right up to major corporations.
Theories and complex business management models may look impressive in boardroom presentations, but only action gets results.
A highly structured 5 phase approach for major business improvements : - Standard inputs produce Standard outputs
(For a detailed description of each of these phases, click on the relevant link at the foot of this page)
1. Diagnostic Get a clear picture of where you currently are
2. Stability Get control, consolidate and put in a solid foundation from which to build
3. Strategy Get a clear vision of the direction you want to go, and put the plans in place to get there
4. Action Dont worry about getting it right, just get it going
5. Evaluation Evaluate success so far and create next future state.
From a business management viewpoint, all major departments within the company have a role to play as we move through each phase.
In the diagnostic phase a thorough business evaluation will take place including lean assessments, value stream mapping and cultural assessments to give you a clear picture of the current state of your business.
- Once you have a clear picture of where you currently sit and through recommendations made from the business assessment, anomalies in the basics will be clearly visible.
Addressing these in the recommended manner will give you the stability of a solid foundation from which to drive forward.
- Once an accurate current state and a stable foundation have been achieved, the vision and goals are set along with realistic plans of how, exactly you are going to get there.
- Time for action - Using whatever Lean, or any other improvement tools are applicable in your situation, drive the changes forward.
- In this phase it is vitally important you do not neglect the cultural aspects of your corporation - this is where the "Gateway" step of this phase comes in. You may also decide to engage the services of a cultural change expert at this point. This will accelerate your change impetus. (See the "Culture" section of this site for more details)
- Finally - Evaluate your success, consolidate your position and continue on to the next stage of the cycle.
From a business management viewpoint these timescales are meant as a guideline only
With each cycle you will notice the business management "Noise" growing less.
To get the "5 steps to lean" fully in place took Toyota many years.
Here is an overview of how and when each of the 5 steps would be implemented.
It is worth remembering that although having the "5 steps to lean" in place in your company is a great goal, it isn't an absolute necessity.
One full cycle through the "Standard Business Roadmap"© will bring about changes in your organisation of such magnitude, that this may well be more than satisfactory for you at this moment in time.
Click on the links below to see a more detailed description of each phase of the "Standard Business Roadmap" ©(Copyright)
Stability - Business management foundation
Action - Kaizen